Producing a Show at Q.E.D.
We don't book individual performers for each show, rather we book the producers who put the shows together. If you have an idea for a show you can email QEDAstoria@gmail.com.
Shows are usually 1 to 1.5 hours long. Producers are required to be on site 30 minutes prior to their scheduled event. We've had storytelling shows, improv, stand-up, sketch, original musicals, solo shows, readings, theatrical productions, Q&A panels, live podcasts game shows and more.
WHAT KIND OF SHOWS ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
All kinds! We're honestly open to (pretty much) anything. A few tips: It helps if you have a following. We're a new venue so the more people you have who are already fans of yours the more successful we can make the show together. The more fleshed out your idea is, the better. If we love your pitch, we might want to book it right away, schedule permitting. The more prepared you are, the quicker we can get your show up and running.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PITCH
In order to be considered, please include the following:
- Short paragraph describing your show.
- Web link(s) to your work / personal website, etc.
- Indicate if this is a one-off show or if you'd like it to be recurring. Keep in mind that our recurring shows are usually monthly.
- How long is the show?
- Day and/or time preferences. Though it helps to be flexible as it depends on our schedule.
- Any tech needs.
WILL I GET PAID?
We offer a ticket split. You set the price at whatever you think your market will bear. Most shows at Q.E.D. are priced between $5 - $10. We can sell up to 50 tickets for the showroom and still keep the curtain closed from the bar and street light.
For shows occurring Wednesday through Saturday, the first $100 in ticket sales goes to Q.E.D. while the remainder of the ticket sales are split 50/50 between the house and the producers. Producers guarantee the first $100.
For shows on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, the first 10 tickets go to Q.E.D. while the remainder of the ticket sales are split 50/50 between the house and the producers. Producers guarantee the first $50.
Of course there are sometimes exceptions but this is the baseline especially for new shows/producers.
Producers are allotted five (5) complimentary tickets for their friends and family. If any members of the press want to come to your show they do not count against your comp tickets. Names for the comp list are due by 5PM on the day of the event.
Q.E.D. TECH & PRODUCING SPECS
* We offer one complimentary drink per show for the host to use at their discretion. No outside food or beverage is allowed at Q.E.D. Please remind your performers and audience of this. Q.E.D. can remain open and affordable only by the purchases made. Q.E.D. offers beer, wine, coffee, tea and a variety of pre-made sandwiches and snacks. If you have a food and/or drink element as part of your show, you must get pre-approval.
* Our maximum legal capacity is 74. This includes Q.E.D. staff, comps and performers, so keep that in mind when booking your show and deciding on a ticket price.
* To review tech, see the space and tech booth in person, you must schedule an appointment. Drop-ins will not be accommodated.
* If you have blackout cues, music cues, need to play videos, etc., please have someone in your crew handle the cues.
* We have three XLR connections on stage to use for up to three microphones, one DI box, etc. We have one DI box with two 1/4" inputs, a "God" mic in the tech booth and an LED light board for lighting cues & blackouts.
* To record audio or connect to our sound board, we have an input usable with a quarter inch connector. You must bring your own recording device.
* Music can be played through your mobile device via a simple headphone connection in the tech booth or controlled on stage by streaming.
* Videos, slideshows, PowerPoints, etc., are streamed to our TV through Apple TV.
* Q.E.D. has a house DVD player, keyboard, laptop and iPad available for use upon advance request.
* Q.E.D. has stools, tables, two music stands, one guitar stand, one regular & two boom mic stands and a small backstage area with full length mirror, outlets and coat hooks.