Producing a Show at Q.E.D.
We don't book individual performers for each show, rather we book the producers who put the shows together. If you'd like to produce a show, email QEDAstoria@gmail.com with your pitch.
Shows are usually 1 to 1.5 hours long. Producers are required to be on site 30 minutes prior to their scheduled event. We've had storytelling shows, improv, stand-up, sketch, original musicals, solo shows, readings, theatrical productions, Q&A panels, live podcasts, game shows and more.
WHAT KIND OF SHOWS ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
All kinds! We're honestly open to (pretty much) anything. The more fleshed out your idea is, the better. If we love your pitch, we might want to book it right away, schedule permitting. The more prepared you are, the quicker we can get your show up and running.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PITCH
In order to be considered, please include the following:
- Short paragraph describing your show.
- Web link(s) to your work / personal website, etc.
- Indicate if this is a one-off show or if you'd like it to be recurring. Keep in mind that our recurring shows are usually monthly.
- How long is the show?
- Day and/or time preferences. Though it helps to be flexible as it depends on our schedule.
- Any tech needs.
WILL I GET PAID?
We offer a ticket split. You set the price at whatever you think your market will bear. Most shows at Q.E.D. are priced between $5 - $10. We can sell up to 50 tickets for the showroom and still keep the curtain closed. Max capacity is 74, including staff and performers.
For shows on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, the first 10 tickets go to Q.E.D. while the remainder of the ticket sales are split 50/50 between the house and the producers. Producers guarantee the first $50.
For shows occurring Wednesday, the first $75 in ticket sales goes to Q.E.D. while the remainder of the ticket sales are split 50/50 between the house and the producers. Producers guarantee the first $75.
For shows Thursday through Saturday, the first $100 in ticket sales goes to Q.E.D. while the remainder of the ticket sales are split 50/50 between the house and the producers. Producers guarantee the first $100.
Of course there are sometimes exceptions like for charitable for free events, but this is the baseline especially for new shows/producers.
Producers are allotted five (5) complimentary tickets for their friends and family. If any members of the press want to come to your show they do not count against your comp tickets. Names for the comp list are due by 5PM on the day of the event.
Q.E.D. TECH & PRODUCING SPECS
* We offer one complimentary drink per show for the host to use at their discretion. No outside food or beverage is allowed at Q.E.D. Please remind your performers and audience of this. Q.E.D. can remain open and affordable only by the purchases made. Q.E.D. offers beer, wine, coffee, tea and a variety of pre-made sandwiches and snacks. If you have a food and/or drink element as part of your show, you must get pre-approval.
* To review tech in person, you must schedule an appointment. Drop-ins will not be accommodated.
* Our maximum legal capacity is 74. This includes Q.E.D. staff, comps and performers, so keep that in mind when booking your show and deciding on a ticket price.
* Fliers should be sent at least three weeks in advance and set at 1920 x 1080 pixels, as that's what looks best on our TV slideshow, Eventbrite and Facebook. Fliers should be in landscape format.
* Do not post fliers for your event anywhere on public property! It is illegal. The Department of Sanitation can fine you up to $200 per poster, which will be your responsibility to pay.
* If you require anything beyond our three onstage microphones or simple house music before the show, please have someone in your crew review tech to handle blackouts, music cues, videos, etc. We do not have a dedicated tech for shows, only a door person who can direct you to the tech booth. Please let your performers know this before they arrive for your show.
* QED has four microphones, two regular stands and two boom mike stands.
* Three XLR connections on stage can be used for microphones, a DI box, etc.
* QED has one DI box with two 1/4" inputs to connect to instruments.
* There is one "God" mic in the tech booth.
* The LED light board and control for one spotlight for lighting cues & blackouts are located in the tech booth.
* To record audio or connect to our sound board, we have an input usable with a quarter inch connector. You must bring your own recording device.
* Music can be played through your mobile device via a simple auxiliary (headphone jack) connection in the tech booth. If you have a newer iPhone, please make sure you bring the headphone dongle!
* Videos, slideshows, PowerPoints, etc., are streamed to our TV through Apple TV with an Apple device (iPhones & iPads or Mac with AirPlay connectivity) or via a direct connect to our projector which projects to a 9' manual projection screen on stage.
* Q.E.D. has a house DVD player, keyboard, laptop and iPad available for use upon advance request.
* Q.E.D. has dozens of stools and tables, two music stands, one guitar stand, one regular & two boom mic stands and a keyboard stand.
* There is a small, mostly private backstage area with a full-length mirror, multiple outlets and coat hooks.